Sunday, March 8, 2009

In the Bleak Midwinter

We are very bad bloggers. We started this blog, we want people to read it but we have only posted twice! Bad, bad bad. This is partially because we have been so busy with our jobs and Gatsby and do virtually nothing on the weekends because it is so cold outside. So here is an update because we know you are all just SO curious about what's been happening in the lives of Mark and Miranda.

1) In the Winter, Netflix is our friend. We have been watching the Showtime Series "The Tudors" via Netflix and it is fabulous (not for kids, in case you were thinking of adding it to your que.) We have also recently watched Pan's Labyrinth and Ghost Town. Both were really good.

2) In this economic climate, one has to find ways to save what they can. This does not change the fact that I want to drink wine, and lots of it. Especially while watching the Tudors. Solution: Take a drive into Manhattan and buy some cases of Charles Shaw. For those of you that don't know, Charles Shaw is:
a brand of "extreme value" wine. All from California vineyards, Charles Shaw wines currently include Cabernet SauvignonWhite ZinfandelMerlotChardonnaySauvignon BlancShirazValdigue in the style of Beaujolais nouveau, and limited quantities of Pinot Grigio. These wines are sold exclusively by Trader Joe's grocery stores, and sell for $1.99 in California.

Charles Shaw wines are affectionately known as "Two Buck Chuck." Due to transportation costs and other factors, in other states the price can go up to around $4. As such, the wine is often referred to as "Three Buck Chuck" or "Four Buck Chuck" relative to the price.

Is it the best wine I have ever had? No. Is it better than Cavit? Most definitely! So last Saturday, Kristin and I took a drive into Manhattan with the doggies and went to Trader Joe's Wine Store (which is dog-friendly) and I got a case: half Sauvignon Blanc and half Cabernet Sauvignon. I haven't drank any of the Sauvignon Blanc yet, Kristin tells me it is ok but that the Chardonnay is much better. The Cab is delish! I think I will be making frequent trips to the Trader Joe's Wine Store in the future. I wish I had brought my camera to take pictures of Gatsby's first time in Manhattan. He loved it and he met 2 other pugs! After he is neutered and goes through puppy kindergarten, we are going to take him to the NYC pug meetup which I have heard is great fun and usually proceeds benefit Curly Tail Pug Rescue, which we are supporters of.

3) I really want to start a team and do the Avon Walk. Let me know if you want to walk with me!

That's all I've got everyone. Let's hope Spring gets here sooner rather than later!

1 comment:

Shea Family said...

I haven't tried "Two Buck Chuck" yet. But I will this week. Thanks for the update.