Thursday, January 14, 2010

Couponing

About 10 years ago, when I worked at Empire BCBS, there was this woman that always had all the ads from the Sunday paper on her desk. One day I was talking to her about plans for the night and I mentioned that I had to stop at the store on the way home because I needed conditoner. She proceeded to go out to her car and get a bottle of pantene pro-v. She told me not to worry about it because she got it for pennies. Literally pennies. Like $.07.

I came to find out that she had a ridiculous stock of food and products at her house that she spent next to nothing on because she was a coupon shopper. Every week she cut out coupons then scoured all the stores in our area for that item to be on sale. If the store doubled coupons, even better. She would show me receipts that showed savings of $50+ in one trip. It was crazy. I never forgot that.

Fast forward to now, Mark and I are trying to save and I am not working so I figured I would give it a try. We don't really need much but I wanted to get started so I cut coupons from last weekend's paper and went through all the ads. Did you all know that King Kullen doubles coupons up to $1 and you do not even need a store card. I NEVER shop there, I always feel that their prices are too high but I figured if I get sale items only and have coupons, I can selectively shop there. Anywho, Ken's salad dressing (16 oz. bottles) are on sale 2 for $4 and I had 2 $1 coupons when you buy 2 bottles. So I got 4 bottles. They ended up being $1 each after all that. Fabulous right! My first couponing purchase was a success. They retail for $3.79 each so I saved $11.16!!

They also had a sale on Tropicana OJ. $1.79 each (limit 2) but only if you spend $25 in other purchases. Luckily, I needed a few other things that were on sale there (Progresso Soup 2 for $3, Shredded Cheese 2 for $5, Dutch County Bread 2 for $4, and a few other things) so I got 2 half gallons of Low Acid OJ for $1.79 each. I was impressed with myself.

The most exciting part is the fun little box on the bottom of the receipt that tells you what you saved. Here is what mine said:
SAVINGS:
No-Clip Coupons: $31.86
Mfs. Coupons: $2.00
Double Coupons: $2.00
Other Coupon: $2.40

Total Savings: $38.26

I know this is no big deal for you professional couponers out there, but not bad for my first try, don't you think?

~Miranda

3 comments:

Shea Family said...

I am very impressed with you! I don't coupon cut and I know I should. When I check out at Shop Rite or Wegman's I always get a bizarre look from the cashier. Way to go!!!! <2 thumbs up>

Miranda said...

I think Shop Rite doubles coupons up to $.99 so you definitely should!

MV said...

Wow, I need to do this!
P.S. you have an award on my blog :)