Friday, January 27, 2012

Sigh...the Postpartum Ailments List Gets Longer

Hello blog world! I have been meaning to blog more. I know I always say that...and I always mean it. Life gets in the way though.

Anyway, My beautiful boy Ethan is 6 months old and getting so big. I wish time would slow down!


Along with his six month birthday comes another fun postpartum diagnosis: I have 3 small gallstones YAY!

I know gallstones can happen to anyone, but because I have never had a gallbladder issue before and I am still within a year of having a baby, my doctor feels they were definitely caused by pregnancy. In fact, she said she sees it all the time. Who knew? I haven't been feeling so great for a few months now, and gallstones can cause all the symptoms I have been having (lightheaded, headaches, bloated, etc.) So I am probably going to have my gallbladder removed. My Dr. also said if I ever want to have another child, best to get this puppy out now, since the stones were probably caused by hormones.

Here is what Baby Center has to say about pregnancy and gallstones:
During pregnancy, levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone are higher, which inhibits the gallbladder from contracting and slows the emptying process. When bile lingers in the gallbladder, it's more likely to become concentrated and form stones. About 12 percent of women develop gallstones while they're pregnant and have significant symptoms that may then require surgical removal of the gallbladder either during pregnancy or in the immediate postpartum period.


So yea, 12%. Lucky me.


Just to recap, since I gave birth to Ethan I have:


-been part of the 1% of women that develops PUPPP after giving birth (it took 4 rounds of prednisone to clear it up.)


-developed a benign breast lump, which had to be core needle biopsied. That cancer scare was SUPER fun.


-developed mastitis, probably from the core needle biopsy.


-and now, I have flippin gallstones.


Ethan was worth it, but this kind of sucks.





Photobucket

1 comment:

Hannah Rose said...

I found your blog on Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope. I am very sorry for your loss. I too lost my baby, Lily Katherine, who was stillborn at fullterm on March 16, 2010. Although I wish nobody else had to know this pain, it's good to know I'm not alone and there are people who "get it." I'd love to have you follow along on my blog as well: www.roseandherlily.blogspot.com

Blessings, Hannah Rose